Everybody wants it, but do you know how to get it? We're talking about healthy hair and it doesn't have to be a hassle to achieve and maintain a healthy mane. Here are the basic pillars to follow when maintaining natural hair to achieve major hair envy!
- Do wash your scalp and not the ends
- Do wash with a moisturizing shampoo after swimming
- Do rinse your hair with cool water
- Do blot your dry hair with a microfiber towel
- Do massage your scalp daily
- Do detangle your hair with your fingers
- Do moisturize your hair daily with a water based moisturizer
- Do seal your hair with a natural oil after moisturizing
- Do deep condition at least once a week
- Do monthly protein treatments
Don'ts of Natural Hair
- Don't apply conditioning and/or styling products to your scalp
- Don't wash or rinse your hair with hot water
- Don't wear overly tight braids or hairstyles- this can result in hair loss
- Don't comb or brush your hair while soaking wet
- Don't abuse heat styling techniques such as blow drying and flat ironing
- Don't wear the same protective style longer than 3-4 weeks at a time
- Don't use too much shampoo, over shampooing can strip your hair of its natural oils
- Don't skip on deep conditioning
- Don't overdo protein treatments
- Don't "dry comb" your hair
Healthy hair is always in reach, just create a hair care regimen that suits your schedule and hair type. Sticking with your hair routine and being consistent is the main key to achieving your hair goals!
Avoid common mistakes that many make when maintaining natural hair such as using too many hair products.
For some of us, once we change something in our hair, we tend to panic and start using too many extra products. This can make your hair greasy, which may cause you to wash your hair too frequently, causing dryness.